Monday, December 28, 2009

The Tree 12/5/2009

So here is the decorated tree. We chopped it down ourselves! A first for me. Trav got the permit from the Forrest Service and off we went one fine Saturday morning with five kids. Well, The Forest Service gave us the wrong map. They gave us the map for chopping down dead, burnt trees - not the Christmas Tree map. All they had to do was take our $6 and hand over a piece of photocopied paper. ANYWAY.......
First, the batteries ran out on the camera...so we only have one picture of Trav driving with Peaches. And we're driving along, driving along.... FOREVER. In the middle of no where. I'm not sure I can explain my increasing frustration as the hours rolled by, seeing NO TREES AT ALL.
So Trav thought trees would be up at the pass (over the mountains to Eureka?...I don't remember...) No pass. Couldn't find it. Even Travis had never been that far THAT way. Warm Springs, Nevada?
So we turn around, cross the valley and go back. The kids are vowing to never go Christmas tree chopping again.
Tears.
Running out of ammo (snacks).
We headed out at 9ish in the morning and it is like 2pm now.
We spot some broken Christmas tree branches on the road, when we stop to pee on the side of the road in the freezing blustery wind. So we follow them. We try to flag down fellow choppers toting trees in their truck beds to ask where they went to chop - but they don't stop.
So we go back to the other pass where Trav said he knew all along Christmas Trees were (then why try someplace else so very far??)
All the while trying not to complain or fight with Travis. ("I should be enjoying the drive...") I did a good job of not being a complaining, upset woman. Which I truly was.
So were looking for Pinion Pine trees. At this point I don't even believe these trees even grow in Nevada. I spot some right away soon enough and Trav gets out without us to go chop one. Well, I hate waiting in the car.
My mother ruined any patience I was born with for waiting in cars.
"Go wait in the car...I'll be right there...." No you wont. I do not wait in cars anymore.
Plus...I just tortured myself with the worst and longest Christmas tree hunt ever. I want to finish this out - by at least seeing the tree get chopped! Geez! Not waiting in the darn truck, while Trav gets all the victory after the war...I didn't care how cold it was. So we all got out and trudged up the hill shouting for "Daddy!".
I scouted the perfect and only Christmas tree like tree.
It got chopped.
We went home.
The Forrest Service owes me seven hours of my life back.
The end.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my heck Jessica! You look incredible! Well, you always have, but you look in shape!! Way to go! It's amazing you have five children, homeschool them, and you are in shape! That's amazing!

    Anyway, I didn't know you had a blog!!!! Maybe you don't want anyone to know? Well, I saw your name on Natasha's blog! I'm glad you have one so I can check in on you guys once in awhile and see what you are all up to!

    We have a blog too, I don't know if you knew that. It's lybbertlaughs.blogspot.com

    Anyway, Roxi said you are doing some kind of exercise program...I can't remember what she said it was called. I wanted to know what it is. So if you get a chance ever, I'd like to know!!!

    Tell Travis hi!! Miss you guys!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, love the pic of Travis and Peaches! I especially like your Christmas tree hunting story!! Classic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, Kasci just told me you have a blog!?!?! And you have had it for a while?!?!?! Are you the only Gerber with a blog? I am going to add you to my bloglist now.

    ReplyDelete